. . .deep in the paint. . .and two sides

Tonight will have to be a slice of life since I was deep in the paint for eight hours today!  Or is it a side of life?  Don't you feel positively indulged when offered two sides with entree?  Decisions, decisions. . .

Delicious dinner last night with a friend. . .and joy of all joys, when exiting the restaurant, it was RAINING.  It was so wonderful we simply sat and waited it out. . .not feeling pressed for time, just enjoying the misty spray, the blowing wind, occasional thunder.  Everything desperately needed a good drenching and the rain gods were doing their best.  While basking in the rain something flew right by me!  Would you believe a praying mantis?  Found clinging on the palm next to me. . .caught up in the wind and holding on for life!  Out there all alone, in front of a restaurant, in the weather, late at night, on a potted plant. . .made me feel quite lucky.

My mantra while driving early this morning to deliver something to the Art's Council?  "I am rich."  I do this all the time. . .think, ponder, reflect, decide, while driving and sitting at red lights.  Today "I am rich" channeled right into my thoughts and was accompanied by a smile.  Not rich as in MONEY!  No way!  Rich as in abundance, full, deep, mellow. . .as Webster's would define it.  I said it out loud (yes I do that!) and it felt even more so.  Said with enthusiasm (yes I do that too!) it was sublime. 

I knew I had a painting waiting for me at home. . .I had already gone through my mind what choices were to be made for today's session, and what was needed to continue bringing up all areas of the painting.  A lot of critical judgements are best made only when you can see its fullness.  Yes, it's a slow dance and although a lot of artists don't paint in layers, as I do, I find it immensely satisfying. . .I'm thinking this kind of planning comes from my watercolor days where I always felt like an engineer of sorts building a bridge before starting a large painting!  Saving the white of the paper was always paramount and definitely required a plan!  

Anyway, today was hugely gratifying in so many ways.  Mozart and Beethoven played right along with my efforts and all in all, a deep, mellow richness walked in while deep in the paint.  

Sumptuous - private collection
           

Comments

Popular Posts